Wednesday, April 4, 2007

doomed

While taking my morning wake up walk I found myself subconciously tallying up the estimated next few days death toll due to the impending freeze. We'll lose the little cherries so abundant on the tree, guess the plums are a gonner, too. Are the paw paws far enough along to abort? Will the baby nuts and seeds and berries all come crashing to the ground on the third morning, instead of rising from the dead? Will the drought make it so that this first try at reproduction be the final effort for the critter food crops for this year? My sister Mary says that it will drive some birds northward, where things aren't so far along.

Took some premortem memorial photos of wildflowers and brought in reams of lilacs from the bush to "stink up" though house right good.
After work today, must cover with row cover the spinach, lettuce, herbs, bring in the potted ferns, spread straw around the peas, bring in firewood, rustle up some kindling...whew! lotta work comes from screwed up weather.

1 comments:

Anonymous April 5, 2007 at 6:46 AM  

Up north, I premourned the loss of the numerous daffodils that popped up. I picked huge armfuls of them to remind myself that it really is spring. They are under 2" of snow now.

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP