Wednesday, July 25, 2007

capturing and dissecting dragonflies



'member when that used to be a school assignment? capture things, pin them to styrofoam, be proud of your collection! Back then, they couldn't issue every child a digital camera, or a laptop, matter a fact, you had to sew your own insect net...
Anyway, I took the camera down to the new pond to see how many dragonflies it had attracted in its short lifetime. I got all excited at a variety of 6! already!
I had a grandiose and fleeting plan to "collect" the various varieties in photographs and identify them. So I went about attempting my first species identification, only to discover there are over 160 species in Tennessee! This is not a matter of glancing at a few pages of the golden field guide and saying, "that must be it, it's got them there blue wings!"
So. I will just enjoy them.
This one did not come from the pond (I am perverse that way) it's photo came from the little lake at Montgomery Bell state park in Dickson, TN.

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP