Tuesday, November 13, 2007

one hand in front of another foot

Precisely because I am "too old" to do so, I have taken up tree climbing again. That and I seem to have been tripping and falling down a lot lately, so where better to work on that than in a place where it could really matter if I fell down?
I am not talking about the type of tree climbing that tree trimmers or deer hunters or wildlife department eagle nest snatchers or amazon forest biologists do with ropes and equipment. I am talking about the kind of climbing you do as a kid, where you are walking in the woods, talking with your brother and your friends and you all get stopped in your tracks by a tree standing regally, stretching up and out its perfectly placed branches. Someone in your group breaths, "wow, that is a hell of a climbing tree" and a sudden scrambling decorates the tree with a group of human monkeys.
It looks like a wild free for all, but after a certain height, everyone silently remembers the "live limb only and 3 point rule" (2 legs and an arm, or 2 arms and a leg) because every kid has been impressed by knowing some kid who had their entire summer ruined by a broken collar bone or appendage from falling from a scary height.
This maple has some great climbing characteristics, healthy, stout limbs, open branches that reach out toward the hollow, numerous branches evenly spaced and a low "swing up" limb to get my lard ass into it to start with.
After getting to the "stomach flutter height" in it yesterday, I have established some goals of chi movement, breath, a smoother route and and greater height for myself over the winter.
Already on my walk this morning I have noticed that my eye is roving over familiar trees for open branches...the mind is a greedy gatherer.

3 comments:

Mary Powell November 16, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

Climb while you can and enjoy, but being a bossy sister- it might be a good idea only to climb with friends. It is cold enough to be too risky to lay hurt for any length of time. Pretty Trees! I Love Trees!

Lea-Ann November 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM  

and, while I enjoy the wonderful pictures you get while you rest from your ascent, i'll be as worried as your sister lest you need someone to help you at the bottom of the tree . . . take care of yourself!!!

Cady May November 17, 2007 at 7:56 PM  

Sheesh! you Michigan raised gals sure worry alot!
But don't worry, I am on to other things...too busy lighting these matches to burn the wrappers off of these razor blades inside this old refrigerator to be falling out of any trees!

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP