Sunday, August 10, 2008

cantaloupe leaves harvesting rainwater

I think I will start a new category entitled "things I never noticed before. or if I did, I forgot"

 

 

 


Of his senility, my Daddy has sometimes remarked that the beauty of having no memory is that every discovery is new, and a fresh surprise all over again.
hmmmph, some trade-off.


Anyway, I knew that plant leaves collect dew, which can sustain them in times of drought, I just never saw them collect it so tidily as on these cantaloupe leaves.
cantaloupe-leavesA
few minutes after this early morning photo, the sun warmed the hollow enough to send the droplets sliding down their little river-shaped veins, and into the channel down the center of the petiole, straight to the ground below.
I ran around the garden investigating, do the pumpkins do this? No. Not in this fashion, the dew was spread in droplets over the surface of the pumpkin leaves, as well as the tomato, potato, pepper and bean leaves. Guess they have other tricks, or the microclimate conditions where just not exactly the same, but only the cantaloupe leaves wore necklaces of dew.

3 comments:

Kathleen August 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

AN interesting and lovely observation. Thanks for sharing the unique photo. Digital cameras are wonderful things!

Anonymous August 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

Glad you're back! I missed your wee nature comments and photos.

cyndy August 20, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

Thanks for noticing, and posting about what you notice ;-)

...things like dew and frost are a mystery to me...so elegant, the patterns they leave behind...

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP