Wednesday, September 3, 2008

duct tape moth

There is a table by my back porch door that collects all sorts of things and periodically I have to "uncollect" it.
Most recently, on top of the collection, I had dropped a waterproof box that I had rigged with a strap for carrying a camera in the kayak.
I had used, of course, the universal rigging material- duct tape.
During the uncollecting process (aka "tidying up") I noticed a common little moth that had completely camouflaged itself to match the color of the duct tape. It was remarkable in that, at a glance, it had seemed to blend into the slivery texture and had been barely noticeable.

"matching duct tape, what a cool camo trick" I thought.

I picked up my camera, but the camera disappointed me, as it picked up the colors and patterns that the naked eye had missed, and made the camo job seem second rate, when in actuality, in the shadowy light of the porch roof, on a late summer afternoon, against silvery duct tape, this moth had been almost invisible.



Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous September 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

I think they are so pretty

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP